- 88 mL (6 tbsp) flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 340 g (12 oz.) beef for stewing or top sirloin, sliced in thin strips
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) New Natrel butter
- 225 g (½ lb.) mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15 mL (3 tsp) ketchup
- 250 mL (1 cup) Island Farms buttermilk
- Cooked egg noodles or rice
- Combine 60 mL (4 tbsp) of the flour with the salt and pepper; coat meat in the mixture.
- Melt the butter in skillet and brown the meat in the butter.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, 125 mL (½ cup) water, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup to the meat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the remaining flour and water and add to the hot mixture; cook over low heat until the sauce is smooth and thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the buttermilk; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve over hot egg noodles or rice.