Our thanks to Guneet from Victoria, B.C., for submitting this recipe.
- 60 mL (¼ cup) rice
- 945 mL (4 cups) Island Farms homogenized milk
- 60 mL (¼ cup) sugar
- 6 strands of saffron
- Pinch of crushed cardamom
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) sliced almonds
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) sliced pistachios
- 5 mL (1 tsp) New Natrel butter
- Wash the rice, changing the water until the water appears clear.
- In a non-stick fry pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until the rice is tender, and the milk is creamy and reduced to about half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan. Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom, almonds and pistachios and let simmer a few more minutes. Turn off the heat. As kheer cools, it will become thicker in texture. Kheer can be served chilled or warm.