Our thanks to Guneet from Victoria, BC for submitting this recipe.
- ¼ cup rice
- 4 cups Island Farms homo milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 strands of saffron
- Pinch of crushed cardamom
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp. sliced pistachios
- 1 tsp. New Natrel butter
- Wash rice, changing water until the water appears clear.
- In a non-stick fry pan, melt butter using medium heat. Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until rice is tender and milk is creamy and reduced to about half. Stir often to ensure milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan. Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom, almonds and pistachios and let simmer a few more minutes. Turn off heat. As kheer cools it will become thicker in texture. Kheer can be served chilled or warm.