Our thanks to Carrie from Sooke, BC for submitting this recipe
- 500 mL (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 750 mL (3 cups) Island Farms buttermilk
- 60 mL (4 tbsp) New Natrel unsalted butter, melted, plus ½ teaspoon for griddle
- Fresh blueberries (optional)
- Heat a griddle to 190 °C (375 °F). Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and 60 mL (4 tbsp) of the butter; whisk to combine. The batter should have small-to-medium lumps.
- Heat the oven to 80 °C (175 °F) . Test the griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water onto it. If the water bounces and spatters off the griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush the remaining 2.5 mL (½ tsp) of butter or reserved bacon fat onto the griddle. Wipe off any excess.
- Using a 4-oz. ladle (about 125 mL or ½ cup), pour the pancake batter in pools 5 cm (2 in.) apart. Scatter with berries, if desired. When the pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around the edges (about 2½ minutes), flip them over. Cook until golden on bottom (about 1 minute).
- Repeat with the remaining batter, keeping the finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in the oven. Serve warm.