Spring ahead with this ready to bake casserole breakfast. Lost hour of sleep? No problem!
- 2 bell peppers, diced (any colour you prefer; about 2 cups)
- 250 mL (1 cup) sliced mushrooms
- 250 mL (1 cup) fresh spinach
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) minced fresh garlic
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices day-old bread
- 10 large eggs
- 250 mL (½ cup) Island Farms milk
- 250 mL (½ cup) shredded cheese
- Fresh basil, shredded
- Optional: 340 g (¾ lb.) uncooked sausage, casings removed
- Brown the sausage in a pan.
- Add the veggies, garlic and salt and pepper; cook until tender.
- Set the sausage and veggies aside.
- Grease a 22–33 cm (9 x13 in.) pan.
- Break the bread into small, even pieces and place in the pan.
- In bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and 60 mL (¼ cup) of the shredded cheese.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread.
- Top with the sausage and vegetables, then the remaining egg mixture and the remaining 60 mL (¼ cup) of cheese. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper on top and the shredded basil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.