- 30 mL (2 Tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 250 g (1 cup) yellow cornmeal
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp.) all purpose flour
- 7.5 g (1 ½ tsp.) baking powder
- 1 g (¼ tsp.) baking soda
- 1 g (¼ tsp.) salt
- 250 mL (1 cup) Island Farms buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F).
- Heat oil in 20 cm (8-inch) cast iron skillet or muffin pan for 5 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal, flour and baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Stir together buttermilk and egg and add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour batter into the hot skittle or muffin pans and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.